To say Texas has lots of Tex-Mex restaurants would be a huge understatement. We have one on almost every corner. Each one has its own speciality.
One of the more popular chains in Texas and other Southeastern states is Chuy’s. They have many wonderful dishes, but what makes people keep coming back is their creamy jalapeño dip. It is what they are famous for. It is what everyone raves about.
My sister shared her copycat recipe with me over the phone; and it was good. However, to me it was missing something. I made it again, only this time I added a 1/3 cup Herdez Tomatillo Verde Mexican Cooking Sauce; and that took it over the top. Perfection! I had to force myself to stop eating it. I could live off this dip and chips! Yes. I’m addicted to it.
What makes it so special? It is creamy, spicy, full-flavored and marries well with crunchy, salty tortilla chips. The combination of sour cream, tomatillo verde sauce, ranch dressing mix, garlic, cilantro and jalapeños just makes me melt thinking about it. And it is so easy. Just throw everything in a food processor and refrigerate. It is best made well ahead of time, if you can wait that long. Go ahead and try it. You will be addicted too!
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream or greek yogurt
- 2 (1 ounce) packages ranch dressing mix
- ⅓ cup Herdez Tomatillo Verde Mexican Cooking Sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ can chopped jalapeños, or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped (or for more heat leave in the seeds)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- Place the Herdez Tomatillo Verde Cooking sauce, cilantro, garlic and jalapeños in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Add the sour cream and ranch dressing mix and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate for about two hours to allow for the flavor to develop.
Want more? Try this outstanding recipe: