Strawberry Dump Cake is the easiest 3-ingredient dessert you will ever make. Just dump 3 ingredients into a baking dish for a strawberry dessert that is more like a cobbler than a cake.
This cake is one of those super easy Dessert Recipes that even the kids can make by themselves. The cool thing is that while this is called a cake, after baking it turns into a delicious strawberry cobbler that the whole family will enjoy. So whether you or the kids are making it for Mother’s Day, a summer picnic, or you just need to throw together a dessert in 5 minutes just because, it is sure to be a hit with the family.
What Is A Dump Cake?
A Dump Cake recipe is typically made from 3 ingredients for the base recipe: Pie Filling, Cake Mix, and real butter. Most Dump Cake Recipes follow this base recipe, such as my Peach Cobbler Dump Cake and my Blueberry Dump Cake recipe. A few recipes, like my Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake recipe and my Pumpkin Crunch Cake recipe add a few extra ingredients. Just by varying the pie filling you can change up the recipe.
What Do I Need To Make Strawberry Dump Cake?
Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Strawberry Pie Filling. I use 2 cans of Strawberry Pie Filling. If you want to use a different fruit flavor pie filling, you could do that also. If you don’t want to use canned strawberry pie filling, you combine 5 cups of sliced strawberries with a 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Cake Mix. Use a box of dry cake mix. You can use either a white cake mix, yellow cake mix, or vanilla cake mix.
- Butter. Be sure to use real butter. It makes a difference. You can use either salted or unsalted butter. Either will work.
- Ice Cream or Whipped Topping (Optional). To top the cobbler-style dump cake, try serving vanilla ice cream or refrigerated whipped topping or whipped cream on top of the dump cake.
- Dump 2 cans of strawberry pie filling into a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the top of the cake mix. Spread it so it has the same thickness all over the pie filling.
3. Place sliced butter evenly all over the top of the dry cake mix. Try to make sure that it is covered all over. This will help prevent dry spots.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes to 60 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
What To Serve With Strawberry Dump Cake
- Serve the Strawberry Dump Cake with vanilla ice cream, or my Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream, or whipped cream, or sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. Serve it like you would a cobbler.
Tips For Making Strawberry Dump Cake
- If you don’t want to use canned pie filling, you can combine 5 cups of sliced strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Make sure the butter is very cold. This makes the butter easier to slice.
- Cut butter thin but not too thin. If you slice it too thick, then you may need to use more than 1 stick of butter. If you slice it to thin, it could just melt into the crust and not brown properly.
- Spread the cake mix evenly over the top of the strawberry pie filling. This is important to help the crust cook and brown evenly.
- Spread the butter evenly over the entire cake try not to miss any spots.
More Dump Cake Ideas
- Peach Cobbler Dump Cake
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Walnut Crunch Cake
- Apple Dump Cake – Just use apple pie filling instead of strawberry pie filling and follow the rest of the recipe.
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Strawberry Dump Cake
- 2 (21-ounce) cans strawberry pie filling
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box cake mix (white, yellow, or vanilla cake mix)
- 8 tablespoons butter (1/2 cup or 1 stick)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- Pour the contents of the strawberry pie filling cans into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the top of the pie filling. Make sure the cake mix topping has the same thickness throughout the pan.
- Place the butter slices evenly over the top of the cake mix topping. Cover as much of the topping as possible with butter slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 - 60 minutes until the filling is bubbly and the top is golden brown. When done, remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Cake mix. You can use a white cake mix, yellow cake mix, or vanilla cake mix. Any of those will work well in this recipe.
- Filling. If you don't want to use canned strawberry pie filling, you combine 5 cups of sliced strawberries with a 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Butter. Use either salted or unsalted butter. Just be sure to cover as much of the topping as you can in order to avoid dry spots after baking.
- Serving. This Strawberry Dump Cake is excellent topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, or whipped topping like Cool Whip.