St Patrick’s Day Chocolate Mint Trifle is a sweet minty green dessert made with a white cake, creme de menthe chips, and whipped topping, that is perfect for your Irish St Patrick’s Day party.
My brother did one of those DNA tests to see what your ancestry is.
We thought we knew but instead of being 1/3 Scottish, he found out he was 1/3 Irish. This was a surprise. Since he is my brother, our ancestry should be the same. So that means I am Irish! In my head, I’m doing a little Irish jig. LOL!
Since I found out I was Irish I figured I better get busy making some Irish recipes for the blog. So I thought I would start with something fun such as a green cake. I was going to make it better with creme de menthe bits. Sounds great, right?
It was great until I tried to get it out of the pan. Yes, I sprayed the pan with cooking spray and coating the creme de menthe bits in flour, but the cake still stuck and broke apart. So now I have many pieces of cake.
Yes, bloggers sometimes have food failures too. It happens to all of us at some point in time.
However, instead of getting upset, I get creative and make St Patrick’s Day Chocolate Mint Trifles. Crumble up the cake, add some whipped topping and sprinkle with creme de menthe bits and you are good to go! I’ll just pretend that I planned it that way all along. Shhhhh!!!! Don’t tell anyone otherwise. 🙂
So for St Patrick’s Day, how about making these trifles and not worry about decorating a cake!
Love this recipe? Receive FREE recipes in your inbox!
I want FREE Recipes!
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box white mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- green food coloring
- ½ (10 oz bag) creme de menthe baking chips
- 8-ounce container refrigerated whipped topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray, or butter and flour the pan.
- Add the cake mix to a large bowl. Pour in the oil and milk. Add the eggs and beat on low until mixed thoroughly. Add about 6 - 8 drops of green food coloring.
- Add creme de menthe chips to the batter. Stir to distribute thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Then remove cake into a large bowl and crumble the cake.
- In small individual, glass bowls add the cake and spoon whipped topping on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the whipped topping with creme de menthe bits.