This savory, slightly spicy beef sandwich is what you get when you marry Asian style stir fry Mongolian Beef with a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. I love to experiment with different cuisines or methods that are familiar and then add a different twist.
The inspiration for this sandwich came from one of my favorite foodie blogs, Life Tastes Good Philly Cheesesteak Casserole, and a recipe from my favorite recipe site, AllRecipes.com called Super Simple Super Spicy Mongolian Beef recipe.
When I saw the philly cheesesteak casserole blog post I knew I had to try it. However, I wanted to put my own twist on it to make it uniquely my own. Since I love stir fried Mongolian Beef, I thought it would be a good fit for this sandwich, and I was right. We loved it!
In addition to the savory asian sauce and the gooey melted cheese over the tender juicy steak, is the fact that it is ready in less than 30 minutes, making it a great quick and easy weeknight dinner.
I like to serve it as open-faced sandwiches. No words describe this phenomenal taste. You just have to experience it for yourself.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or grape seed oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 8 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 8 slices french bread toasted
- Stir together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the beef and cook until it is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add onions and red bell peppers and saute until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in sauce and stir fry for about a minute or two.
- Place two toasted french bread slices on a plate. Top with the beef, sauce, onions and red peppers. Top with sliced pepper jack cheese. Place plate in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Serve and enjoy!