These delicious Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos are similar to Chiles Rellenos, and are easy, cheesy and slightly spicy and make a delicious Mexican dinner.
These Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos were created in response to an invitation by Sargento® Cheese to create a recipe for the Chopped at Home Challenge on FoodNetwork.com using only chicken thighs, poblano peppers, corn tortillas, and Sargento 4-Cheese Mexican Blend.
The cool thing is that you can also enter the Chopped at Home Challenge by creating your own original recipe with chicken thighs, poblano peppers, corn tortillas and Sargent 4-Cheese Mexican Blend and submitting your recipe to FoodNetwork.com/ChoppedChallenge for the chance to win $5,000 and a trip to New York City to compete in a televised Chopped cooking challenge for a $10,000 grand prize. How awesome is that?!
The recipe is required to be a Mexican recipe for this round. I wanted to do a twist on Chiles Rellenos, so I came up with this Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos, which basically stuff chicken nachos inside a poblano pepper and the whole thing is covered with melted Sargento 4-Cheese Mexican Blend.
Sargento has 30 different varieties, unique blends, and distinct cuts, and is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more information, visit the Sargent Pinterest page or visit www.sargento.com/Shredded.
One of the things I love about these Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos is that they are easy to make. You can actually make part of it a day ahead to save even more time on a weeknight.
I made “tortilla chips” with the corn tortillas. You would be surprised how easy these are to make. It can save you money as well. Cut each tortilla into 6 triangles, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spray the tortillas with cooking spray, and bake for 10 minutes in a 400-degree oven. That’s all there is to it.
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs because they were required, but I like them because they add more flavor than chicken breasts. To make these Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos I cut the chicken into bite size pieces, seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Then cook in a skillet on top of the stove. Add chopped onions and jalapenos.
If you prefer, you can cook the chicken a day before and then assemble everything and bake in the oven just prior to serving.
Once you have the chicken and “tortilla chips” prepared, then just add them inside a roasted poblano pepper, cover with Sargento 4-Cheese Mexican Blend and cook in the oven until they are heated through and the cheese is melted.
You can then top with your favorite garnishes, such as chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro or sour cream.
First you must roast the poblano peppers. You can either char them over a flame on a grill or above a gas stove. I prefer to roast them in the oven by cooking them for about 10 minutes at 450 degrees F.
Once out of the oven, place the poblano peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, and allow them to cool for about 15 minutes. Then you will need to peel off the outer layer. Don’t worry, it is easy to peel. You can see how the blistered outer layer has separated in the photo above.
After peeling the poblano peppers, slice the peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds. Then stuff the peppers with the chicken mixture.
Place the tortilla chips just inside the Poblano peppers, to the side of the chicken, and cover with cheese. Then bake in a 400-degree oven for about 15 minutes.
I hope these Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos have inspired you to create your own recipe to enter into the Chopped at Home Challenge. If you enter, please leave a comment below and let me know what you made.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
- 4 corn tortillas each sliced into 6 triangles
- Cooking Spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs , chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 - 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
- 2 cups Sargento shredded 4-Cheese Mexican Blend
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place corn tortilla triangles evenly over the baking sheet so none overlap. Spray the tortilla triangles with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until chips are crisp and golden brown.
- In a small bowl stir together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika.
- Sprinkle the chicken thigh pieces evenly with the spice mix.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add seasoned chicken pieces to the skillet and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes. Turn and cook for another minute.
- Add chopped onion and diced jalapenos to the chicken. Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place poblano peppers on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the poblano peppers with cooking spray and place them on the baking sheet.
- Cook the poblano peppers in a preheated oven at 450 degrees F for about 10 - 15 minutes turning once until the skin is blistered on all sides.
- Place the poblano peppers in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the peppers to cool for 15 minutes.
- Peel the outer skins of the poblano peppers. Slice the pepper lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Spoon chicken into each poblano pepper until filled. Don't overfill.
- Sprinkle each poblano pepper with Sargento shredded 4-Cheese Mexican Blend.
- Add in 4 - 6 tortilla "chips" inside the poblano peppers on the sides.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 7 or 8 minutes or until the Chicken Nachos Stuffed Poblanos are heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with favorite Mexican toppings, such as tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, or sour cream.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.