These Cheesy Taco Potato Bites are spicy, cheesy bite-sized potato skins made with real Idaho® potatoes, taco-spiced ground beef, salsa, and melty cheese, and will be a hit at any party.
This Cheesy Taco Potato Bites recipe features:
- An easy appetizer recipe that can be made in less than 1 hour.
- Quality Idaho® potatoes with flavorful Mexican spices
- Mini bite-size appetizers that are perfect for a party
- Melty cheese and spicy ground beef inside an Idaho® potato shell.
I just got back from a business trip to France. While it is wonderful to visit a foreign country, it is always nice to come home to my family and familiar surroundings and eat some of my favorite foods.
While I was in France, most of the food I ate was lightly seasoned, and I missed some of the bolder, spicier flavors that I love. So I told my husband that the first thing I wanted to do when I got back was to go to our favorite local Tex-Mex restaurant. We got some fajita tacos, and they were wonderful!
Then the next day we had my sister, her family and some friends come over, and I needed a quick and easy bite size appetizer for the get together. These Cheesy Taco Potato Bites made with Idaho® potatoes made the perfect appetizer, and were a hit with everyone.
What is not to love? Melty Mexican cheese over taco-spiced beef inside mini, bite-sized potato shells taste like heaven to me.
Be sure to check out the other Sunday Supper potato recipes below.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
- 24 small fingerling potatoes (about 3 pounds), washed and dried
- ⅓ cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅔ pound lean ground beef
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning (either store-bought or homemade)
- ½ cup pico de gallo, drained (either store-bought or homemade)
- 2½ cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place potatoes, in one layer, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until easily pierced with a fork, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Slice each potato crosswise about 1 inch from the bottom (widest part) of the potato. Using a small spoon, gently scoop out the inside (white part) of the potato, into a medium bowl; set potato bites aside. Add sour cream, butter, and milk to bowl with potato. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Mash until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring often, until beef is browned and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over the top. Add pico de gallo. Remove from heat and fold beef mixture into mashed potato mixture along with 1 cup cheese and chives; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon potato and meat mixture into hollowed-out potato bites and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle potato skins with remaining 1 cup cheese and place in the preheated oven; bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot, about 20 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream, remaining pico de gallo, and cilantro.
Check out these other Sunday Supper recipes made with Idaho® potatoes.
- 10 Potato Toppings by Sunday Supper Movement
- Baby Duchess Potato Bites by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Potatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Potato Skins by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Patties with Avocado Cream by I’m Not the Nanny
- Cheesy Taco Potato Bites by Flavor Mosaic
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Skins by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Honey Sriracha Fries with Crème Fraiche by Whole Food | Real Families
- Indian Spiced Potato Pastry Shells by Soni’s Food
- Loaded Baked Potato Stuffed Mushrooms by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Potato Crab Cakes by Magnolia Days
- Potato and Chorizo Bites by Family Foodie
- Purple Potato Puffs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Smoky Paprika Potato Kebabs with Bacon and Blue Cheese Dip by Food Done Light
- Smoky Potato Pie Cups by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Potato Skewers with Paprika Dipping Sauce by Rhubarb and Honey
- Spiralized Shoestring Garlic Truffle Fries with Aioli by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Two-Bite Potato Salad Cups by Shockingly Delicious
- Waffled Twice Baked Potato Pancake Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Window Pane Potato Chips by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Is your mouth watering yet? If you are craving some out of this world potato recipes, be sure to get more information about Idaho Potatoes® on their website, plus get tons of recipe ideas by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram. You’ll also find today’s #SundaySupper recipes and so many more on our Pinterest board featuring fabulous summer grilling recipes with Certified Angus Beef® brand.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.