These Cheesy Taco Potato Bites are spicy, cheesy bite-sized potato skins made with real Idaho® potatoes, taco-spiced ground beef, salsa, and melty cheese, and will be a hit at any party.
This Cheesy Taco Potato Bites recipe features:
- An easy appetizer recipe that can be made in less than 1 hour.
- Quality Idaho® potatoes with flavorful Mexican spices
- Mini bite-size appetizers that are perfect for a party
- Melty cheese and spicy ground beef inside an Idaho® potato shell.
I just got back from a business trip to France. While it is wonderful to visit a foreign country, it is always nice to come home to my family and familiar surroundings and eat some of my favorite foods.
While I was in France, most of the food I ate was lightly seasoned, and I missed some of the bolder, spicier flavors that I love. So I told my husband that the first thing I wanted to do when I got back was to go to our favorite local Tex-Mex restaurant. We got some fajita tacos, and they were wonderful!
Then the next day we had my sister, her family and some friends come over, and I needed a quick and easy bite size appetizer for the get together. These Cheesy Taco Potato Bites made with Idaho® potatoes made the perfect appetizer, and were a hit with everyone.
What is not to love? Melty Mexican cheese over taco-spiced beef inside mini, bite-sized potato shells taste like heaven to me.
Be sure to check out the other Sunday Supper potato recipes below.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Email | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Cheesy Taco Potato Bites #SundaySupper
- 24 small fingerling potatoes about 3 pounds, washed and dried
- 1/3 cup sour cream plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 pound lean ground beef
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning either store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo drained (either store-bought or homemade)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place potatoes, in one layer, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until easily pierced with a fork, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Slice each potato crosswise about 1 inch from the bottom (widest part) of the potato. Using a small spoon, gently scoop out the inside (white part) of the potato, into a medium bowl; set potato bites aside. Add sour cream, butter, and milk to bowl with potato. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Mash until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring often, until beef is browned and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over the top. Add pico de gallo. Remove from heat and fold beef mixture into mashed potato mixture along with 1 cup cheese and chives; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon potato and meat mixture into hollowed-out potato bites and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle potato skins with remaining 1 cup cheese and place in the preheated oven; bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot, about 20 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream, remaining pico de gallo, and cilantro.
Is your mouth watering yet? If you are craving some out of this world potato recipes, be sure to get more information about Idaho Potatoes® on their website, plus get tons of recipe ideas by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram.
This post is sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I could pop one after another of those bites in my mouth. Yum!
Amee Livingston says
Sounds like the perfect app to me!!
Cynthia @ Whole Food | Real Families says
These look so good! I want to eat the plate of them for dinner!
They would be great as a meal.
Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen says
I need to go to the store and get the fixin’s for these! They sound awesome!
These sound awesome, Michele! I think I could eat the entire plate! yummm
Yes! That could be easy to do!
Cindys Recipes and Writings says
Better than taco shells!
Yes! And much healthier than taco shells.
These look yummy and this is probably one “Tex-Mex” food I could get Grumpy to eat without complaining!
Thanks Shelby! It is hard for me to understand how anyone could not like Tex-Mex.
The flavors are right up my alley and I would really enjoy these :)Yum!
I bet you would love them. Our family did.
Cheesy taco anything is always a winner…these potatoes look absolutely incredible!
Hmm … I love potatoes …and I love tacos. So I know I would love these!
Very creative … thanks for sharing!
It is pretty much a combination of the two. I bet you would love them.
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
That looks like Taco Tuesday dinner to me! Making it!
Thank you Dorothy!
Love your fine take on a taco. Potatoes are a healthier choice too.
Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch says
These are so fun! I’ll have to make them for a fun Taco Tuesday switch up!