This Grilled Pizza Recipe will show you how easy it is to grill pizza that is delicious with the perfect crispy, chewy pizza crust, smoky flavor, and melty cheese with your favorite toppings!
Did you know that you can grill pizza?
You can and I did! I grilled a fully loaded Supreme Pizza on the grill and it was so easy and has a wonderful smoky flavor combined with all the delicious pizza flavors.
I also made a Grilled Vegetable Pizza as well without any meat! Either way, the resulting pizza has a wonderful taste and texture by cooking it on the grill, reminiscent of your favorite pizza joint or Italian restaurant with a wood fired oven.
Why You’ll Love Grilled Pizza!
Grilling pizza gives it that wonderful crispness to the crust and that slightly smoky that is similar to the wood burning pizza ovens that so many pizza restaurants have.
In addition, it doesn’t heat up the house. Keep your kitchen cool and crank up the outside grill.
I love it because you can customize the toppings to what you want or to what you have on hand. Want a Supreme pizza with the works? Go for it. Maybe you just want a Vegetable pizza. It is your grill, your pizza, and your toppings. Get as creative as you like!
How To Grill Pizza
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you choose to purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product and does not increase the price.
Below are my favorite tools from Amazon.com that are perfect for making this recipe.
- Outdoor Grill
- Pizza Stone
- Pizza Paddle
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Pizza Cutter
You can add any number of toppings. However, below are some suggestions for popular pizza toppings, and hopefully these will spark ideas for the toppings for your perfect pizza. Mix and match as you see fit. There really are no rules. You can personalize the pizza so it is just the way you like it.
- Italian Sausage or pork sausage
- Ground Beef
- Canadian Bacon
- Grilled or Shredded Chicken
- Bell Peppers
- Banana Peppers
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Black olives
- Sliced tomatoes
- Gather Ingredients. Gather all your ingredients and slice, chop, or crumble your ingredients as necessary.
- Pizza Sauce. Make your own pizza sauce. Often I like to make the sauce ahead of time, like the night before. However, you could also use store-bought pizza sauce.
- Make Pizza Dough. Like the sauce, you can either make your own homemade pizza dough or purchase a store-bought pizza crust. If making your own, roll out the pizza dough into a thin rectangle using a small dusting of flour so the dough doesn’t stick. Place the pizza dough on a large baking sheet or pizza paddle.
- Prepare Grill. Heat the grill to medium-high heat, and coat grates of grill with vegetable oil using a folded paper towel.
- Grill Pizza Crust. Slide the pizza dough onto heated grates. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom is lightly brown. Flip pizza over and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Add Pizza Sauce. Spread the pizza sauce even over the top of the pizza crust and top with mozzarella cheese and the toppings of your choice. Close the lid and grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings are lightly browned.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and transfer to cutting board.
- Add fresh herbs and parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
Get creative with various combinations of toppings to create unique pizzas. Here are a few to spark some ideas.
What To Serve With Pizza
Pizza is delicious by itself. However, serve it with extra pizza sauce and grated parmesan, and a side salad.
Can I Make Pizza Ahead of Time
- You can make the homemade pizza dough and homemade pizza sauce ahead of time, such as the day before and refrigerate them until shortly before you are ready to grill.
- However, I don’t recommend grilling the pizza until just before you are ready to serve.
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Grilled Pizza Recipe; How To Grill Pizza
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- Flour (For rolling out pizza dough)
- Olive Oil (For Pizza)
- Vegetable Oil (For Grill)
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1-1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (approximately)
Ideas For Toppings (Choose Your Favorites)
- sliced onions
- chopped bell peppers
- sliced mushrooms
- black olives, chopped
- Italian Sausage
- Diced Chicken
- Ham or Bacon
- Prepare the pizza sauce and slice or chop all toppings, set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough into a thin rectangle using a small dusting of flour so the dough doesn’t stick. (Rectangular Shape makes it a little easier to handle.) Place pizza dough on large baking sheet or pizza paddle.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Coat grates of grill with vegetable oil using a folded paper towel.
- Slide pizza dough onto heated grates. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom is lightly brown. Flip pizza over and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Spread on pizza sauce and top with mozzarella cheese and toppings of your choice. Close the lid and grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings are lightly browned.
- Remove from grill and transfer to cutting board. Add fresh herbs and parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately
We’re going to try this method, for sure. I’m sure it will be more flavorful than when baked in the oven.
It is very flavorful. I hope you like it.