Coconut Fudge Swirl Cake is decadently delicious. It is a rich, sweet, moist, chocolately, coconuty cake.
I started with a good base vanilla cake batter substituting coconut extract instead of vanilla. But then I swirled spoonfuls of Nutella Hazelnut Spread throughout the cake batter. It is topped with a cream cheese frosting with coconut extract and sweetened coconut. Then it is drizzled with melted chocolate for a taste that reminds me of coconut fudge ice cream. YUM!
This is hard to believe but I had never tried Nutella until last week. Where has it been all my life! It tastes so delicious that it is dangerous for me to be in the house alone with it.
So I had to create a recipe to use it in. I recently had some coconut fudge ice cream in the freezer, which was the inspiration for this cake. I thought the Nutella swirled through the cake batter would be awesome….and I was right.
If you love chocolate and coconut, then you will love this cake. Make it today! You won’t regret it.
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- ½ (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (may need to adjust to thin or thicken frosting)
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8 x 8 baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the coconut extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and spread until it is evenly distributed throughout the pan.
- Drop a tablespoon of Nutella Hazelnut spread on top of each corner of the batter. With a knife, stir the Nutella Hazelnut spread throughout the cake batter to create swirls in the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, butter, and coconut extract. Stir in the powdered sugar. Stir in milk a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Stir in the coconut. After the cake has cooled, spread the frosting evenly on top of the cake.
- To make the chocolate drizzle add the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds at a time. Stir until the chocolate is melted and silky smooth. With a spoon drizzle on top of the cake.
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.