Coconut Fudge Swirl Cake is decadently delicious. It is a rich, sweet, moist, chocolately, coconuty cake.
I started with a good base vanilla cake batter substituting coconut extract instead of vanilla. But then I swirled spoonfuls of Nutella Hazelnut Spread throughout the cake batter. It is topped with a cream cheese frosting with coconut extract and sweetened coconut. Then it is drizzled with melted chocolate for a taste that reminds me of coconut fudge ice cream. YUM!
This is hard to believe but I had never tried Nutella until last week. Where has it been all my life! It tastes so delicious that it is dangerous for me to be in the house alone with it.
So I had to create a recipe to use it in. I recently had some coconut fudge ice cream in the freezer, which was the inspiration for this cake. I thought the Nutella swirled through the cake batter would be awesome….and I was right.
If you love chocolate and coconut, then you will love this cake. Make it today! You won’t regret it.
Coconut Fudge Swirl Cake
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup Nutella Hazelnut Spread
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk may need to adjust to thin or thicken frosting
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8 x 8 baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the coconut extract.
- Stir in the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and spread until it is evenly distributed throughout the pan.
- Drop a tablespoon of Nutella Hazelnut spread on top of each corner of the batter. With a knife, stir the Nutella Hazelnut spread throughout the cake batter to create swirls in the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, butter, and coconut extract. Stir in the powdered sugar. Stir in milk a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Stir in the coconut. After the cake has cooled, spread the frosting evenly on top of the cake.
- To make the chocolate drizzle add the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds at a time. Stir until the chocolate is melted and silky smooth. With a spoon drizzle on top of the cake.
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.
Nicole Neverman says
This looks absolutely fantastic! I cannot wait to try it! Thanks very much for sharing =)
Joanne T Ferguson says
G’day! and YUM! true!
Thanks for adding our badge!
Thanks for sharing! Viewed as part of Foodie Friends Friday Nothing But Noodles Pasta Party!
This is a gorgeous cake. I love what you did with the nutella swirl and just your statement that it reminded you of coconut fudge ice cream brings me right in!
Thanks Shelby! I love Nutella too. Haha! I love coconut fudge ice cream and thought it would be great as a cake! It was! Thank you for visiting.
I love this delicious fudge swirl cake with the coconut milk and the nutella, oh, sooooo good. I will definitely be trying this recipe, grampy will love it.
Hi Joanne, thank you so much. We love this cake over here. Let me know if you try it. And I have to say that your title of your latest post has caught my attention. I’m going to have to go check out your Rueben Quesadillas. That sounds intriguing! Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.
Oh, Michele! This is a gorgeous cake! You hooked me with the photo and then you completely won me over when I read the word Nutella! 🙂 Haha! This would be an excellent dessert for Easter 😀
Thanks Anyonita! We loved it!
Mary Bostow says
OH GOOD GRIEF!! Somebody get me a bib cause I’m ready to dive in face first! This looks delicious!!
LOL! I would love to see that Mary! Thanks for visiting! I’ll go run and get that bib!
This looks delicious. My daughter was asking for some sort of coconut swirl cake, so this might be the ticket. Is this using coconut milk like from the dairy aisle or the canned, full-fat stuff?