This Baked Southwest Chicken Dorito Casserole is an easy cheesy chicken casserole with shredded rotisserie chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, Nacho Cheese Doritos, cheddar cheese, and taco seasoning.
One thing you will notice is missing is canned cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup. Instead, I used cream cheese and sour cream to make this a creamy Mexican chicken casserole. It is one of my husband’s favorite recipes.
This is a perfect easy chicken casserole for busy weeknights because you can use leftover chicken, such as Rotisserie chicken or cooked shredded chicken, as well as other refrigerator and pantry staples that you likely already have on hand. Also, If you love spicy food, then you’ll love this delicious recipe.
With Doritos and Rotel, this is not your grandma’s chicken casserole. It has a slightly spicy kick and loads of flavor from the taco seasoning as well. This Mexican chicken casserole with Doritos truly is the ultimate chicken casserole.
- Why You’ll Love Chicken Dorito Casserole
- Why This Recipe Works
- How To Make Mexican Chicken Casserole With Doritos
- Ingredient Notes
- Easy Instructions With Photos
- Recipe Variations
- Pro Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Chicken Dorito Casserole Recipe
Why You’ll Love Chicken Dorito Casserole
- Easy Recipe. This is one of our family favorite easy recipes because it has limited ingredients. All you have to do it mix it together in a bowl and then start layering in a casserole dish and bake! Easy!
- Flavor. This chicken casserole is exploding with flavor from the Doritos, Rotel, and taco seasoning.
- Texture. The creaminess of the chicken mixture contrasts and compliments the crunchy Doritos on top.
- Budget-Friendly. Since it is a great way to use leftovers, and uses common ingredients that you likely have on hand, it is a great way to feed a lot of people without spending a lot of money.
Why This Recipe Works
- Tried and True Recipe. This recipe has been made many times throughout the years. My husband requests it often because he loves it!
- Easy Instructions. With easy step by step instructions as well as step by step photos, Recipe Tips and Tricks, Frequently Asked Questions, and a video, we provide all the information to help you make a successful recipe.
How To Make Mexican Chicken Casserole With Doritos
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you choose to purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product and does not increase the price.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Oven-Safe Casserole Dish
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions in case you don’t have a specific ingredient on hand. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Chicken. For the chicken mixture, you are going to need shredded cooked chicken breast or chicken thighs. For a shortcut, you can use rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked shredded chicken. Either white chicken or dark chicken will work.
- Cream Cheese. Adding softened cream cheese helps make this a creamy chicken casserole, especially when combined with the sour cream. However, if you don’t have cream cheese and sour cream, you could use either canned cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup instead.
- Diced Tomatoes and Chilies. Use canned diced tomatoes and chilies, like RO*TEL, or if you can’t find that use a can of diced tomatoes and a separate small can of diced green chilies. This adds a slightly spicy kick to the Doritos casserole.
- Corn. You can use canned whole kernel corn or frozen corn. However, If you have fresh corn, by all means use fresh cooked corn.
- Taco Seasoning. You can easily use a packet of store-bought taco seasoning or make your own by using this Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe.
- Sour Cream. You’ll need 1 cup of sour cream adds that extra creaminess. You can use either light sour cream or regular full-fat sour cream.
- Cheddar Cheese. We use 2 cups of shredded cheese, usually a combination of cheddar cheeses. However, you could use your favorite type of cheese instead.
- Nacho Cheese Doritos. Crushed Doritos are added on top. We used Nacho Cheese Doritos. However, you could use Cool Ranch Doritos, or if you prefer, you can use tortilla chips instead of Dorito chips.
- Cilantro. I like to add fresh chopped cilantro on top as a garnish along with a dollop of sour cream.
Easy Instructions With Photos
Mix the Chicken Filling
- In a large bowl combine, cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until well mixed.
- Then add the rotel, and corn.
- Next add the shredded chicken.
- Then add 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix.
Layer, Assemble, and Bake the Casserole
- Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and smooth out. Then Place in the oven and bake until bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with crushed doritos over the top.
- Then add the remaining cup of cheese evenly over the top.
- Next bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove the casserole dish from the oven and serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream, or your choice of toppings.
- Beef. If you prefer, you can switch out the chicken with ground beef
- Black Bean. Add a can of Black Beans to add protein and to make it even a heartier casserole.
- Ranch. Switch out the Nacho Cheese Doritos with the Ranch Doritos, or
Pro Recipe Tips and Tricks
- To Keep The Crunch. Wait to add the doritos until the last 5 minutes of baking, or if you have added them at the beginning, cover the top of the casserole dish with tin foil. This will help keep them from turning too brown.
- Meal Planning. Add the Dorito chips only to the amount of the casserole that you think you will eat immediately, and then store without chips. You can always add the Doritos when you reheat the casserole. See the FAQs for how to freeze, refrigerate, and reheat the casserole.
- Perfect Level of Spiciness. To modify the level of heat or spice, you can adjust these two ingredients below to get the level of spice so it is perfect for you.
- To Make It More Spicy: Use extra hot Rotel and add more taco seasoning until it reaches the spice level you prefer.
- To Make It Less Spicy. Use mild Rotel and reduce the amount of taco seasoning until it meets your flavor preference.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Can I freeze This Dish?
If you plan to freeze this casserole first and then bake it, I recommend freezing it without the Doritos on top. You will just add those during the last 5 minutes when you reheat the casserole dish in the oven.
I do not recommend freezing this dish after it has been cooked with the Doritos on top.
How do you reheat this so the Doritos aren’t soggy?
If you think you will have leftovers from this dish, then I recommend adding the Doritos only to the amount of the casserole that you think you will eat. So, if you think you will eat half of the casserole tonight and refrigerate or freeze the other half, only add the Doritos to half the casserole.
If the casserole is frozen, then allow it to thaw in the refrigerator before baking.
If you are reheating leftovers from the refrigerator, cover the casserole dish with foil and reheat it in the oven for 30 minutes, and then uncover the casserole dish, add more Doritos if you like, and bake for 5 more minutes.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Bake
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Chicken Casserole
- Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Creamy Chicken Dorito Casserole Recipe
- 2 Cups shredded chicken
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel
- 1 10 ounce can whole kernel corns drained
- 1 1 ounce package taco seasoning
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 2 Cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups Nacho Doritos crushed
- optional garnishes – cilantro diced tomatoes, lettuce, avocado slices
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl combine, cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning until well mixed.
- Then add the Rotel and corn.
- Add the shredded cooked chicken.
- Add 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and smooth out.
- Place in the oven and bake until bubbly.
- Remove and sprinkle with crushed Doritos.
- Add the remaining cup of cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream, or your choice of toppings.
• You can wait to add the doritos until the last 5 minutes of baking, or cover with tin foil. This will help keep them from turning too brown.
• This is delicious served with a side salad. Storage: • Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
• I do not recommend freezing this dish.