Braised Brats with Apples and Onions are braised in Moscato wine and served on hot dog buns or brat rolls with mustard and jalapeños, and are perfect for tailgating.
Football season is finally here! Mr. Flavor Mosaic starts going through football withdrawals about the end of July. He starts counting the weeks until the first preseason game. Then he starts counting the days, and hours, and so on. Now that football season has started, he is ecstatic! He tells me how many college and pro games are on TV this week (even counting the ones on channels that we don’t have). Since we can’t go to the games in person, we are joining the Sunday Supper family, along with Gallo Family Wines for Tailgating on your home turf.
As part of Tailgating on your Home Turf, Gallo Family Wines sent me a set of 9 (187 ml) mini bottles of a variety of their wines, including Moscato, Pink Moscato, Red Moscato, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Pinot Noir. These cute little bottles of wine are great for a tailgating party because you can have a variety of wine for all your guests.
I decided to make Braised Brats with Apples and Onions using the Moscato wine to braise the bratwursts, apples and onions. What goes better with football and tailgating than hot dogs? However, I didn’t want just any hotdogs, I wanted to dress them up and give them a little Texas flair. So the Moscato wine, apples and onions dress them up. The Gallo Family Moscato is a delightful refreshingly sweet, light-bodied Moscato with delicious flavors of peach, honey, and ripe citrus; and the jalapeños give it a little bit of heat to give it that Texas flair.
These brats are braised at first but then finished up on the grill to crisp up the outside and get those nice grill marks.
- 6 bratwursts
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups Moscato Wine (I used Gallo Family Moscato)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 hot dog buns or brat style rolls
- dijon mustard for serving
- Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add sliced onions and stir to coat with the butter. Add diced apples and stir. Cook onions and apples for about 10 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add the brats and jalapeños in with the apples and onions. Pour in the wine and, once boiling, turn down the heat to low, cover the pot and allow the brats to simmer for 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove brats from the skillet, and place on the preheated grill. Allow the onions, apples, jalapeños and wine to continue simmering, uncovered.
- Once brats are browned and have grill marks, add them to lightly toasted hot dog buns and top with the apples, onions, and jalapeños.
To celebrate the start of football season, the Sunday Supper Family has partnered with Gallo Family Wines to create some amazing original tailgating recipes that either include wine or pair well with wine for Tailgating on Your Home Turf. Please join us at home as we watch our favorite teams while eating some fabulous foods and sipping on some delicious Gallo Family wine. The twenty recipes below are either made with wine or pair well with wine.
For more information on Gallo Family Vineyards’ wines and recipe pairing ideas, visit their website and locate a store near you or look through their Tailgating recipes. Be sure to keep up with them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for new products or recipes. And, even better, save money by using this $1 off coupon! Score!
Don’t throw away those corks! Gallo Family wants you to save those corks to help end hunger for seniors. Their Every Cork Counts program invites Americans to send back their corks to benefit the Meals On Wheels Association of America. Every cork collected equals $1 for Meals on Wheels! Visit GalloFamily.com for more details.
Visit other members of our Sunday Supper family for more recipes.
- Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- Basil and Sundried Tomato Hummus by Ruffles & Truffles
- Braided Stromboli by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Braised Brats with Apples and Onions by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken and Chorizo Nachos by Family Foodie
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Greek Style Grilled Wings with Yogurt Dill Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Meatball Subs with Garlic-White Wine Sauce by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mini Chorizo and Cheese Quiches by Magnolia Days
- Pizza Rolls by Momma’s Meals
- Ricotta Toasts with Tomatoes by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili by Jelly Toast
- Spicy Grilled Clams in Foil by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Mint Red Moscato Sangria by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Dip with Za’atar Chips by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Ultimate Stadium Nachos by Melanie Makes
- Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.