Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake is an easy 6-ingredient cake, with cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple, and cake mix, which is more like a cherry cobbler than a cake.
- 2 (21-ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (15.25 oz) can yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and flour or spray it with a baking spray.
Dump 2 cans of cherry pie filling into a 9×13 baking dish.
Dump 1 can of crushed pineapple evenly over the top of the cherries.
Sprinkle the yellow cake mix evenly over the top of the cherries and pineapple. Spread it out evenly.
Sprinkle sweetened flaked coconut and chopped walnuts or pecan over the top. (This is optional.)
Pour melted butter all over the top. Try to cover as much as you can with the melted butter.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. (Start checking it at about 35 minutes.) Serve hot with ice cream or whipped cream.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to use real butter as this generates the best results. It helps to get that beautiful golden brown, crunchy topping.
- When pouring the melted butter over the top of the cake mix, be sure to cover all the cake mix as possible to avoid getting dry spots.
- For each layer of ingredients, be sure to spread them out as evenly as possible.
- After dumping the cake mix on top, be sure to spread out evenly across the top. It is important for this layer to be the same thickness throughout. That will allow the cake to cook evenly throughout.
- If you prefer, go ahead and stir the pineapple together with the cherries. That will work well also. It is just a matter of preference.
- Try to prevent the coconut from clumping together. Try to spread it as evenly as possible. If clumps of coconut are sticking up well above the cake mix, that coconut may overcook before the rest of the cake is ready.
- When the cake is baking, start checking it at 35 minutes to see if the topping has turned golden brown and the filling has started bubbling. Then I recommend checking it every 5 to 10 minutes after that to see if it is ready.
Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 181mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 434IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 1mg