Cajun Blackened Chicken
Cajun Blackened Chicken is an easy, spicy and flavorful chicken dish that can be ready in 30 minutes and is great for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 chicken breast halves boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a small bowl, stir together the first 9 ingredients.
Spray both sides of the chicken breasts with cooking spray.
Then sprinkle the seasoning over both sides of each chicken breast.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts.
Cover and cook the chicken breasts for approximately seven to eight minutes on each side.
After the chicken has finished cooking, remove it from the heat and let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Tips For Cajun Blackened Chicken:
- This recipe works really well in a cast iron skillet. If you don't have one, I recommend this one.
- Oil or Butter. I used olive oil in this recipe, but you could also use butter instead or your favorite oil. My favorite is probably avocado oil because it can handle high heat without burning.
- Making your own Cajun Blackening seasoning tastes much better than buying a store-bought package of Cajun seasoning. Will this recipe work with the store-bought package? Of course, it will. It may be very salty, so I recommend not adding any additional salt if you use the store-bought Cajun seasoning.
- You can control how spicy the chicken is by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper in the Cajun Blackening seasoning. If you want it spicier, increase the amount of cayenne, or if you want it less spicy, reduce the amount of cayenne. If you don't want it spicy at all, leave out the cayenne all together.
- If you have large, thick chicken breasts, then I recommend that you slice them sideways (horizontally) so they make two thinner pieces of chicken instead of one thick piece of chicken. This will allow the chicken to cook faster.
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 277mg | Potassium: 429mg | Vitamin A: 330IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.8mg