Bacon and Sausage Gravy Recipe
What Makes Sausage Gravy even Better? By adding bacon, of course! The Sausage and Bacon Gravy has a delicious hearty flavor with butter and heavy cream to round out the white cream gravy!
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the bacon and sausage.
Cook the bacon and sausage until the sausage is no longer pink.
Add butter to the skillet and let it melt.
Then whisk in the flour and cook for 30 seconds.
Whisk in the milk and the cream.
Continue whisking until the gravy has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I like to add plenty of freshly cracked black pepper.)
- Quality Ingredients. High-quality bacon and sausage will ensure maximum flavor in the gravy. You could opt for lean bacon and gravy to reduce the fat content, but you will also reduce the rich flavor.
- Easily Available. Bulk seasoned breakfast sausage without any casing can be sourced from most grocery stores in the meat section; otherwise, consider calling upon your local butcher.
- Good Skillet. Use a reliable thick skillet, like a cast iron skillet to brown the bacon and sausage. This will also produce the best pan drippings, which will make the gravy addictive!
- Butter. It's not a good idea to use margarine instead of butter for this gravy. It will alter the texture and flavor of the gravy.
- Too Thin. If the gravy is too thick, whisk in additional milk.
- Let Cool. Completely cool the gravy before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Double It. Easily double this gravy if you are serving to a larger crowd.
- Storage. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days.
Calories: 506kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 856mg | Potassium: 366mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 611IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 153mg | Iron: 1mg