Molasses Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Molasses Crinkle Cookies, AKA Molasses Crinkles, are soft, thick, spiced molasses cookies, covered in powdered sugar, and are delicious for the holidays or any day!
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks or 12 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and the spices above.
In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour in the molasses and mix until combined. Add an egg and mix until combined and the batter is smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if needed. Add in about 1/3 of the flour mixture into the batter and mix until combined. Then add in about 1/2 of the flour mixture into the batter and continue mixing until the flour is worked into the batter. Add the remaining flour mixture into the batter until it has that cookie batter texture.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour before baking. (Don't skip this step if you want the crinkled look of the cookies.)
Using a cookie scoop, or using your hands, roll the dough into one-inch balls.
In a small bowl add about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. In a separate small bowl add about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. Roll the balls of cookie dough into the granulated sugar first and then the powdered sugar next
Place on a parchment-covered cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies in a preheated 350-degree F oven for approximate 10 to 12 minutes. (12 minutes worked perfectly for me, but ovens vary, so check it at 10 minutes.)
Let the cookies cool on a baking rack for about 10 minutes. Then serve the cookies with milk.
- Type of Molasses. Use real, unsulphured Molasses, but not back strap molasses, as that would be too strong.
- Butter. I recommend using real butter and not margarine for the best results.
- Use both Granulated and Powdered Sugars. In order to maximize the crinkles or cracks in the cookies, roll the cookies in both white sugar and powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate Batter. This helps prevent the cookies from spreading too much and it helps maximize the crinkles in the cookies.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 187IU | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg