Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a hearty Italian chicken dinner with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and red and green bell peppers, served over pasta.
- 4 chicken thighs
- seasoned salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 each red green, and yellow bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced Italian Style Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Salt and Pepper chicken
Dredge chicken in flour to lightly coat
Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom pan or dutch oven over medium high heat.
Place chicken, skin side down, in bottom of pan. Cook just until chicken is browned. Remove from heat and place on a plate. Set aside. Drain off any excess chicken drippings.
In the same pan, add the onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, and carrots and stir until softened. Add the garlic and stir. Add the thyme, oregano, and optional red pepper flakes. Stir until vegetables are browned and softened a little.
Pour in wine and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Add canned italian tomatoes, chicken broth, and capers into the pan and stir. Place chicken (skin-side up) back in the pan, sitting on top of the vegetables and let it cook for another 45 minutes.
Serve by itself or on top of pasta, rice, or polenta and top with chopped fresh basil.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 216mg | Potassium: 437mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3327IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg