Sausage Tortellini Soup (Instant Pot Version)
Sausage Tortellini Soup (Instant Pot Version) is rich and creamy with Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, and spinach, and is quick and easy to make in an Instant Pot for hot comforting soup on a cold winter evening.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small white onion , chopped
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (either hot or mild will work)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 6 cups (48 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (washed, drained, and chopped)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (optional to thicken)
- 1/4 cup water (optional to thicken)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) shredded parmesan cheese
Pour in a tablespoon oil into the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE and when oil is hot, add the chopped onions. Let cook for a minute or so until the onions are softened.
Add the ground Italian sausage and minced garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the sausage has browned. Press CANCEL to stop sauteing.
Add chicken broth, salt and pepper, and Italian Seasoning, and tortellini. Close and lock the lid.Set the steam release to “SEALING”. Press “MANUAL” and set the time to 3 minutes. It may take 5 - 10 minutes to reach the pressure before it starts the 3-minute pressure cook. When it beeps after 3 minutes, do a quick release. (Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for a quick release for your specific model of the pressure cooker.)
Press “SAUTE” function again. Pour in the heavy cream and add the baby spinach and stir.
If the soup needs to be thickened, stir together the cornstarch and cold water in a measuring cup and pour into the soup and stir.
Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese and stir.
Press Cancel. Ladle the Sausage Tortellini Soup into soup bowls. Sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
How To Cook Sausage Tortellini Soup On The Stove:
- Place a soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add oil and onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add Italian sausage and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and spinach and cook for 5 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour in heavy cream and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- If you would like to thicken the soup, stir together the corn starch and cold water in a measuring cup and pour into the soup and stir. Cook until thickened.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with more cheese, if desired, and serve.
Calories: 594kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 765mg | Potassium: 492mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2930IU | Vitamin C: 8.8mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 2.7mg