Mexican Quinoa is a wholesome, high protein, gluten-free alternative to your favorite Spanish rice or Mexican rice dish, but it tastes just as delicious.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as RO*TEL®)
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir quinoa and onion in the hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño pepper to quinoa mixture and cook until garlic is fragrant and slightly softened, 1 or 2 more minutes.
Mix undrained can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, taco seasoning mix, and chicken broth into quinoa mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 191mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 281IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg