This Cinco De Mayo Menu provides all the delicious Cinco De Mayo Food ideas and recipes for your Cinco De Mayo celebration including drinks, appetizers, mains dishes, sides, and desserts!
As a bonus, I’ve added many new and exciting recipes to this Cinco De Mayo recipe collection, so you will have a complete menu when you celebrate this fun holiday!
What Is Cinco De Mayo And Why Is It Celebrated?
Cinco De Mayo in Spanish translates as the 5th of May. Then the question is why is Cinco De Mayo Celebrated? What is special about the 5th of May?
According to History.com, on May 5, 1862, the Mexican army, at the Battle of Puebla, defeated the French army, during the Franco-Mexican War. In Mexico, it is a relatively minor holiday. However, in the U.S., it has become more of a celebration of Mexican culture.
Cinco De Mayo Food
Cinco De Mayo and the Mexican heritage and culture in the U.S. is celebrated by serving Mexican (or Mexican-Inspired) Food. And in this article, you will find our best, most popular Mexican (or Mexican-Inspired) food drinks, appetizers, desserts, as well as main dishes and sides that are perfect for a Cinco De Mayo celebration.
Cinco De Mayo Menu
Below are links to recipes for Drinks, Appetizers, Desserts, Main Dishes and Sides that will round out the perfect menu for your Cinco De Mayo celebration. All of these are tried and true recipes from either Flavor Mosaic or other popular bloggers, such as Tastes of Lizzy T, Cooking On The Front Burner, Homemade Interest, Cooking with Curls, Life Tastes Good, Grumpy’s Honeybunch, Renee’s Kitchen Adventures, and many more!
Cinco De Mayo Drinks
From Margaritas to Mojito recipes and everything in between, we have you covered for drinks for your Cinco De Mayo celebration.
- Pitcher of Margaritas – A Pitcher of Margaritas is the perfect way to celebrate your Cinco De Mayo fiesta!
- Fresh Strawberry Margarita – This tasty strawberry margarita is made with fresh juicy strawberries, tangy lime juice, and tequila. It is perfect for a Cinco De Mayo celebration.
- Skinny Margarita – This Skinny Margarita is perfect when you’re craving that fresh mix of limes and tequila but trying to save on calories!
- Spicy Peach Margarita – NEW!! – Spicy Peach Margarita is sweet, tart, citrusy, salty, and spicy with that delicious peach flavor!
- Frozen Peach Margaritas – This summery sweet Frozen Peach Margarita make a refreshing cool adult drink for your Cinco De Mayo celebration.
- Mango Key Lime Margaritas – This fruity, slushy, tropical Mango Key Lime Margarita makes a fun and fruity twist on a traditional margarita.
- Mojitos And Mezcal Mule
- Blood Orange Mojito – This Blood Orange Mojito recipe uses blood oranges and mint to make a drink that is both beautiful and delicious and perfect for a party!
- Mezcal Mule – This Mezcal Mule is a variation on the classic Moscow Mule, which is traditionally made with vodka. The smoky quality mezcal brings to the combination of ginger ale and lime.
- Horchata Mexican Drink Recipe – This Horchata Mexican drink is a slightly creamy, non-alcoholic agua fresca flavor made with cinnamon and rice and is perfectly refreshing.
- Horchata Frappuccino – This Horchata is turned into a sweet, creamy cinnamon Frappuccino that is cool and refreshing.
- Saffron and Cardamom Horchata – A creamy and smooth rice-based Mexican drink laced with saffron and cardamom. A refreshing cooler for all year round.
Cinco De Mayo Appetizers
We have dips, queso, nachos, and all your favorite party appetizers that you will need for your Cinco De Mayo celebration.
- Pico De Gallo – Pico de Gallo Salsa is a delicious, colorful, spicy, healthy Mexican appetizer dip that is perfect for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo or graduation celebrations!
- Mango Pico De Gallo Salsa – For a fresh twist on salsa, make this spicy, yet refreshing and healthy Mango salsa to spice up your party!
- Watermelon Salsa – NEW!! – Light and refreshing Watermelon Salsa, with watermelon, strawberries, herbs, honey, and jalapeño, offers a sweet and spicy summer appetizer for Cinco De Mayo, or a picnic, party, or potluck!
- Pineapple Salsa – NEW!! – Pineapple Salsa, made with pineapple, peppers, red onions, and more, makes a sweet and refreshing summer salsa that goes perfectly on tacos, salads, fish, and chicken!
- Salsa Verde – A homemade green salsa made with fresh ingredients, such as tomatillos, roasted garlic, and just the right seasonings. This is the perfect fresh salsa!
- Freshly Homemade Guacamole – This creamy Homemade Guacamole is healthy with delicious and made fresh from healthy ingredients, including avocados, tomatoes, garlic, onions, lime juice, and jalapenos. Perfect for any party!
- Pineapple and Black Bean Guacamole – Pineapple and Black Bean Guacamole is not your ordinary guac! Sweet, spicy, salty and oh so good. Whip up a batch to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and say adios to plain guacamole and hola to a fiesta for your mouth!
- Cheesy Chorizo Jalapeno Mexican Dip (Queso) – A spicy queso dip made with chorizo, onions, jalapenos, and Mexican cheese that is perfect for parties and holiday entertaining!
- Best Velveeta Skillet Queso – NEW!! – Sausage, jalapeño, 3 kinds of cheese, Rotel, and beer combine to create an amazing creamy cheesy skillet queso!
- Slow Cooker 4-Cheese Queso Dip – This easy Slow Cooker Four Cheese Queso Dip is always a hit for parties, tailgating, or holiday events, including Cinco De Mayo.
- Other Dips
- Creamy Tomatillo Jalapeno Ranch Dip – (Copycat Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip) – This creamy, spicy, flavorful dip is awesome and a perfect complement to the tortilla chips for your Cinco De Mayo party!
- Tijuana Shrimp Dip Nachos – This easy, cheesy, spicy Tijuana Shrimp Dip Nachos appetizer recipe that is perfect for a Cinco De Mayo party or any party.
- Vegan Nachos with Black Beans – These Vegan Nachos with Black Beans are delicious and dressed and ready for a hungry crowd! This Mexican appetizer is vegan and gluten-free.
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas – Chicken Fajita Quesadillas are oohey-gooey cheesy, spicy, colorful and amazing! They are kind of like a Mexican or Tex-Mex version of a grilled cheese sandwich, except with flour tortillas.
Cinco De Mayo Main Dishes
- Tex-Mex Beef Fajitas – This Tex-Mex Beef Fajitas recipe, made with skirt steak or flank steak, and served with sauteed onions, red and green peppers, make an easy, delicious, smoky, spicy and flavorful main dish.
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas – NEW!! – Made and served in a sizzling hot cast iron skillet or platter with sautéed onions, and peppers, these Skillet Chicken Fajitas make a perfect main dish that can be served low carb, or with tortillas and Mexican rice.
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas – NEW!! – Fajitas De Pollo in Spanish, are spicy, smoky, sizzling hot strips of chicken breast served with sliced red and green bell peppers, and sautéed onions in flour tortillas.
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – These Crockpot Chicken Tacos need only 5-ingredients and a crockpot, or slow cooker, to make incredibly moist and tender Mexican style chicken tacos for taco night or any night.
- Ground Pork Carnitas Tacos – Quick and easy, these ground pork tacos are ready in about 30 minutes. Ground pork is cooked and seasoned then topped with salsa verde, cotija cheese, cilantro and pickled onions for a tasty Mexican cuisine inspired meal.
- Easy Taco Pie Recipe – Taco Pie recipe with tortillas is an easy and budget-friendly recipe perfect for even the busiest nights of the week!
- BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos – BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos make a quick and easy dinner when you have leftover pulled pork!
- Tex-Mex Enchiladas with Chili Gravy – NEW!! – Cheese enchiladas covered with a beef chili con carne gravy, or enchilada sauce, and lots and lots of gooey cheddar cheese!
- Easy Enchiladas Suizas – These Easy Enchiladas Suizas are creamy, cheesy, slightly spicy white chicken enchiladas made with sour cream, mozzarella cheese, salsa verde, chicken, and corn tortillas, and are out-of-this-world delicious!
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce – These Cheese Enchiladas with a homemade red enchilada sauce will be a hit at your Cinco De Mayo party!
- Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas – These creamy, cheesy enchiladas are made with shrimp that has been seasoned with Mexican flavors and roasted in the oven with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and jalapeños.
- More Mexican Main Dishes
- Stuffed Chile Relleno – NEW!! – Ground beef Picadillo stuffed inside roasted poblano peppers and smother with melted cheese to make a flavorful, zesty, and cheesy Mexican dinner.
- Chicken Empanadas – NEW!! – Empanadas De Pollo, or Chicken Empanadas, are savory hand pies filled with Mexican seasoned chicken, cream cheese, and corn that make great appetizers or a delicious weeknight dinner!
- Potato and Chorizo Empanadas – NEW!! – These hearty, savory Mexican Chorizo empanadas make great hand-held appetizers for Cinco De Mayo, or game day, or for a party.
- Chile Relleno Casserole – Whether you serve it for breakast or dinner, you love this spicy Mexican Vegetarian Casserole with eggs and poblano pepers!
- Mexican Beef And Rice Casserole – Mexican Beef And Rice Casserole is an easy, cheesy, delicious ground beef skillet dinner loaded with Mexican beefy taco flavor that your whole family will love!
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole – King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a creamy, cheesy, vintage Tex-Mex or Mexican Chicken Casserole with layers of tortillas and chicken in a creamy sauce and covered with melted cheese!
- Vegetable Enchilada Casserole – NEW!! – Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole is like a Mexican Lasagna or Tortilla Casserole that is packed with vegetables, Mexican flavors, and melted cheese!
- Chicken Dorito Casserole – This Baked Southwest Chicken Dorito Casserole is an easy cheesy chicken casserole with shredded rotisserie chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, Nacho Cheese Doritos, cheddar cheese, and taco seasoning.
Cinco De Mayo Side Dishes
- Mexican Rice – This Easy Homemade Mexican Rice, or Spanish Rice, with its bold Mexican flavors, will make your taste buds do a salsa dance, which makes it a perfect side dish for your Mexican dinner.
- Mexican Street Corn Salad – Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe is deconstructed Elote or Mexican Street Corn, a popular Mexican street food, served in a bowl, instead of as corn on the cob, and covered with a fantastic chili lime cream sauce and cotija cheese.
- Cucumber Tomato Salad With a Mexican Twist – This Cucumber Tomato Salad with sliced cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, sliced red onions, in a red wine vinaigrette, includes a Mexican twist with the addition of crumbled cotija cheese, Mexican oregano, and chopped cilantro. It makes a truly delicious and refreshing summer salad!
- Refried Beans – These Homemade Refried Beans are so easy and the flavor and texture is far superior to what you’ll eat from a can.
Cinco De Mayo Desserts
These Mexican-Inspired Desserts are sweet and delicious and easy to make. Many can be made ahead of time so you can enjoy the party!
- Strawberry Margarita Pie – This awesome Strawberry Margarita Pie is sweet, smooth, and creamy with a pretzel crust. It is a no-bake pie that can be made the night before and will be a hit at the party!
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars – These Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars, inspired by the Mexican dessert called sopapillas, have a sweet, creamy cheesecake filling tucked between 2 crescent roll pastry sheets and are perfect for your party!
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice Pudding – This Instant Pot Mexican Rice Pudding is a sweet, creamy Mexican dessert that is quick and easy to make in an Instant Pot, and perfect for a party.
- Churro Muffins – These mini Churro Muffins are sweet, buttery muffins covered in cinnamon sugar and make a delicious finger food dessert for a party!
- Margarita Cupcakes – They are so easy to make because they start with a lemon flavored boxed cake mix.
- Frescas Con Crema (Strawberries and Cream) – Fresas con Crema, also known as strawberries and cream, is a light, refreshing Mexican dessert with just 4 ingredients and takes mere minutes to prepare. This is quite possibly the easiest dessert you will ever make!
With this extensive collective of Mexican Inspired recipes, your Cinco De Mayo celebration is certain to be a hit. With recipes to round out an entire meal, you will now always have the answer to What To Serve for Cinco De Mayo!
Have you tried any of these recipes? If so, be sure to leave a comment and let me know which recipes were your favorites!
This post was originally published on April 30, 2019, and updated with new additional recipes in May 2, 2021.