Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells combine the spicy flavor of buffalo chicken wings and the creamy, cheesy goodness of melted mozzarella, and salty blue cheese all stuffed into cute convenient pasta shells. It is like someone stuffed buffalo wings into the pasta shells but without the bones!
Years ago, when I first made these stuffed shells, my husband said it was fantastic. Like me, he rated it 5 out of 5 stars and wanted me to make it again. It is one of our favorite Pasta Recipes.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells
It is a unique twist on the Traditional Stuffed Shells recipe, like this one from Self-Proclaimed Foodie. Combining the beloved flavors of Buffalo Chicken Wings and stuffing them into jumbo pasta shells creates a delicious, yet unique Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells pasta recipe.
You’ll love it too because of the tangy kick of the Buffalo sauce and chicken, and the creamy, cheesiness, and the pasta. It is always a challenge to figure out a new way to fix a chicken dinner, and this is a winner, with popular flavors that the whole family will love! Our family does! They love all things that have that delicious Buffalo sauce, like our Buffalo Blue Cheese Potato Croquettes, and the Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Pizza!
Why Make This Recipe?
Over the years, I have probably made it at least once a month because it bursts with flavor and is so easy to make since I use rotisserie chicken, and because my husband and I both love it. It became one of my go-to dinners.
Like My Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad, this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells recipe includes the flavors of buffalo chicken and combines it with pasta shells. Pair it with Cheesy Bread and a green salad and you have a full meal.
What Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
Another reason you’ll love this recipe is that it is also a great way to use leftover cooked chicken breast or rotisserie chicken. For the full, detailed instructions with measurements for each ingredient, scroll down to the printable recipe card below.
- Cooked Shredded Chicken Breast – You can use shredded rotisserie chicken or just shred some leftover chicken breast. It is a great way to use up leftover chicken. No one will ever know you used leftovers in the dish.
- Jumbo Pasta Shells – The shell pasta needs to be large enough to accept the buffalo chicken filling. Therefore, I recommend the jumbo-sized pasta shells. If you have small pasta shells that you want to combine with buffalo chicken, then I would recommend my Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad.
- Ricotta Cheese – Creamy and cheesy ricotta cheese takes on the flavors of the other ingredients and gives the filling a wonderful, soft, creamy texture.
- Crumbled Bleu Cheese – The salty distinct flavor of the blue cheese (or bleu cheese) compliments the buffalo sauce extremely well.
- Mozzarella Cheese – The shredded Mozzarella cheese gives it that melty cheesy softness that complements the shells so well.
- Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix – It is not buffalo chicken without the ranch flavor. It helps make buffalo chicken so popular.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce – The star of the show, the buffalo wing sauce, like Frank’s Original Buffalo Wing Sauce, is the key ingredient. Without it, you don’t have that “Buffalo” flavor.
- Egg – You need an egg to bind the filling together.
- Green Onions – Chopped green onions make a delicious and pretty garnish to top the shells.
As previously mentioned, for the complete list of ingredients with the specified amounts for each ingredient, scroll down to the printable recipe card below.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells
Here are the high-level steps involved in making this recipe. For the more detailed instructions, scroll down to the printable recipe card below.
- Preheat The Oven. I like to do this right when I start making the recipe to ensure that the oven will be good and hot when the dish is ready to go in the oven.
- Boil The Pasta. Boil the pasta per the package directions but watch to ensure that it does not overcook because the pasta has to be firm enough to hold its shape with the filling.
- Make The Buffalo Chicken Filling. Combining the ricotta, blue cheese, mozzarella, green onion, ranch dressing seasoning mix, buffalo wing sauce, egg, and chicken makes the delicious filling. The filling is what makes this recipe unique and delicious.
- Stuff The Pasta Shells. Now comes the assembly. Did I mention assembly was required? Don’t worry. It’s easy! Spoon the buffalo chicken filling into each jumbo shell pasta.
- Bake The Stuffed Shells. Just before you bake the shells, sprinkle shredded mozzarella and blue cheese over the top. Drizzle additional buffalo sauce over the shells, if you like.
- Garnish The Dish. Once the Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells come out of the oven, feel free to garnish the dish with chopped green onions for a nice presentation and added flavor.
- Don’t Overcook The Shells. You want them cooked through but still al dente or slightly firm. They need to hold their shape and hold up to the buffalo chicken filling.
- Use Cookie Scoop For Stuffing Shells. To make it easy on yourself and to save time, try using a cookie scoop to stuff the buffalo chicken filling into each jumbo shell. It will make your life easier.
- More Cheese Please! To make it extra delicious and provide a wonderful presentation, add additional shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the shells just before baking.
- Make-Ahead! You can make the recipe and assemble the shells ahead of time. Instead of putting them immediately in the oven, put them in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake and serve.
- Double The Recipe! Instead of making one casserole dish of the Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells, make two! You can serve one and freeze one to serve some time in the future!
Variations On Stuffed Shells
Stuffed shells are so versatile that you can change up the filling to come up with a whole new dinner for the family. Here are some of my favorite variations!
- Enchilada Stuffed Shells – Sweet Beginnings stuffs the shells with enchilada sauce and ground beef, turkey, or venison.
- Pizza Stuffed Pasta Shells – Shugary Sweets stuffs the pasta shells with your favorite traditional pizza flavors!
- Broccoli And Spinach Stuffed Shells – Mom Foodie makes a vegetarian stuffed pasta by using broccoli and spinach.
- Salad Stuffed Shells – Life Tastes Good created a fun way to serve salad with these vegetarian Salad Stuffed Shells.
What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells
These Stuffed Shells make a meal unto themselves, or as a main dish. Here are a few of our favorite pairings.
- Apple Pomegranate Side Salad – A fresh and delicious Side Salad served with Lime Garlic Vinaigrette is a perfect side dish to complement your meal.
- Red Wine Poached Pear Gorgonzola Salad – A beautiful green salad with sweet pears poached in red wine combined with salty gorgonzola cheese and crunchy chopped walnuts.
- Savory Herb Rolls – Soft, buttery, pull-apart rolls with garlic, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and parsley on top
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Freeze This Recipe?
- Yes! You can bake the recipe and then freeze it in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- How Do I Store Leftover Stuffed Shells?
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- How Do I Reheat Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells?
- If the Stuffed Shells are frozen, thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheat in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Craving More Recipes?
If you have tried this recipe, be sure to rate it and leave a comment to let us know how you liked the recipe.
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells
- 20 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 15 ounce package of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 packet of Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix
- 1/3 cup hot sauce such as Frank's Original Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken breast
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta shells according to package directions but take them out 1 minute before they are finished. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- While the pasta shells are boiling, in a large bowl combine the ricotta, blue cheese, mozzarella, green onion, ranch dressing seasoning mix, buffalo wing sauce and egg. Add the cooked chopped chicken and stir to combine evenly.
- Fill each shell with a tablespoonful of the chicken and ricotta mixture and place each in the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle additional mozzarella, blue cheese, and buffalo wing sauce over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Top with additional chopped green onions. Serve hot with extra buffalo wing sauce.
This Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells Recipes was originally published on January 16, 2014, and republished with step by step photos, recipe tips, and new photos on June 13, 2020.
Since I have many Pinterest pins that link to the old photos, I have moved the old photos to the bottom of the post.