Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole is a delicious overnight casserole, made with day-old French, Brioche, Challah, or Italian bread, cream cheese, fresh strawberries, and blueberries, and topped with a sweet blueberry sauce that will feed a crowd for breakfast or brunch.
In this post, you will:
- Learn how to make an easy, delicious overnight casserole to feed a crowd for breakfast or brunch.
- Use fresh strawberries and blueberries and real maple syrup in this Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole recipe.
- Learn about Elizabeth’s Everyday Essentials by Revol.
Last year for our progressive Easter Dinner post, which included my Pork Loin with Dijon Cream Sauce and Cornichons recipe, I was introduced to Revol, a French culinary porcelain manufacturer that has been making high-end cookware and serveware since 1789. I received their cook & play rectangular baker, which I loved because it was made from a high quality porcelain, and could go from the freezer to the oven to the tabletop. You can see it in the first photo of my Maple Mustard Chipotle BBQ Chicken recipe.
This year, I contacted Revol and told them how much I loved their bakeware. They told me about their new product line by Chef Elizabeth Karmel called Elizabeth’s Everyday Essentials, and sent me the Covered Casserole Dish from that line to try. It is a beautiful, large, white porcelain covered dish casserole dish witha clear glass lid. I love the versatility of it because it can go from the stovetop to the oven to the freezer and back, and then into the dishwasher. Since it can be used on both the stovetop and in the oven, it can be used to cook anything. It is easy to take it with you to a party or a potluck because of the lid.
With Easter around the corner, I decided to make an amazing overnight breakfast casserole with fresh blueberries and strawberries and real maple syrup that would be perfect for feeding a crowd for a holiday breakfast or brunch. This covered casserole dish is a perfect dish to use for this Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole recipe.
It is super easy to make this delicious Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole. First, cut day-old French or Italian bread into 1-inch cubes and place in the bottom of the casserole dish. Then cut 2 blocks of cream cheese into small cubes and place on top of the bread.
Next, sprinkle 1 cup (or more) of fresh blueberries over the top of the cubes of cream cheese and bread.
Then sprinkle with a cup of chopped strawberries.
Cover with the remaining cubes of bread.
To make the custard, you will start with 12 eggs. Yes. You heard me right: 12 eggs. I never claimed this dish was diet or healthy. It is a holiday. Just go for it.
Mix in milk, pure vanilla, and real maple syrup with the eggs.
Pour the egg custard mixture over the bread, berries, and cream cheese. Press down the bread cubes to be sure they soak in the egg custard.
Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
Then in the morning, let it sit for about 30 minutes first. Then bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for another 30 minutes.
The Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole will be golden and crisp on the top and soft in the middle, but not soggy.
Then make this sweet, rich gorgeous Blueberry sauce to serve on top of it or serve on the side. If for some reason, you don’t serve the blueberry sauce, then you may want to mix the cream cheese with powdered sugar and a little milk to spread over the bread cubes. That will add sweetness. Most of the sweetness is in this sweet, rich blueberry sauce. So I highly recommend making it. In fact, make a double batch because it is great to use on pancakes, waffles, or anything.
When you serve this Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole dish, be sure to generously drizzle that sweet, rich blueberry sauce over the top, and add a dollop of whipped cream.
For whom will you be baking this Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole?
More French Toast Casseroles
- Cherry Apple Baked French Toast by It’s Yummi
- Strawberries and Cream French Toast Bake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Overnight French Toast Casserole by Life Tastes Good
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole
- 12 slices day-old French or Italian bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes (Can use light)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 12 eggs beaten
- 2 cups milk I used Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Spray a casserole dish or 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup strawberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast
Adapted from AllRecipes.com.
Disclaimer: I received a casserole dish from Revol in order to develop an original recipe and give an honest review. The opinions expressed, photos, and recipe in this post are my own.