Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Quail is a Texas style tailgating tradition that is perfect with wine while watching the big game.
It’s Fall Y’all! You know what that means! It’s time for football and tailgating! To help you get ready for the big game the Sunday Supper Family has partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards to bring you some fantastic foods that pair wonderfully with Pinot Noir, and are great for tailgating and watching football.
When it comes to college football, there are some huge rivalries in our family. My husband and I went to opposing schools, and when we get together with our extended family for tailgating, or “home gating” in most cases, we cheer for each other’s team whenever they are not directly playing each other. But if they are playing each other, watch out!! Things can get very loud and heated. It has made for some very uncomfortable Thanksgivings in the past. However, now our teams generally don’t play anymore on Thanksgiving, so now we have peace in the family again for the holidays.
We also have some fantastic food when we get together to watch football. Last time I told you about the Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread that my sisters and I made inside the kitchen. This time, I’m sharing a recipe that the guys made outside on the grill called Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Quail.
What is even better than these grilled appetizers? Serving the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Quail with the Gallo Family Vineyard’s White Zinfindel. The mini bottles are perfect for tailgating. The White Zinfandel pairs well with the quail with its crisp bright fruit flavors, including fresh strawberry and hints of white peach.
Our friend had given us some quail, and the guys decided that the quail needed some cheese, jalapeños, and bacon. You won’t get any argument from me. It sounds like a fabulous flavor combination. For a less spicy version, green bell peppers can be substituted for the jalapeños.
For the quail, start with skinless quail. Sprinkle the quail with salt and pepper. Slice a block of cheddar cheese into 1/8 inch slices. Slice 6 jalapeños lengthwise, and remove seeds. If you prefer a lot of heat, you could leave the seeds in. If you don’t like spicy foods, you could use green bell peppers instead.
Then just a little assembly is required. Place a slice of cheese on top. Top with a jalapeño slice (or a slice of green bell pepper) and then wrap the quail cheese and jalapeño with one slice of bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Place the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Quail on the grill and cook for 10 minutes. Turn and cook for another 5 minutes. Brush with melted butter and cook for 3 more minutes.
Be sure to serve with some chilled Gallo Family Vineyards White Zinfindel.
To learn more about Gallo Family Vineyards’ wines and recipe pairing ideas for the Labor Day holiday, be sure to visit their web site and locate a store near you or look through their GFV Tailgating Blog Post. Stay informed about new products, recipes and wine pairing ideas by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- 12 skinless quail
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounce block cheddar cheese, sliced into ⅛" slices
- 6 jalapeños, stems removed, halved lengthwise, and deseeded
- 12 slices bacon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Sprinkle quail with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each quail.
- Top with a slice or half of a jalapeño.
- Wrap the quail, cheese, and jalapeño with the bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the quail on the grill and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Remove from grill and serve hot.
Check out these other great recipes to help you prepare for your tailgating entertaining.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chicken Thigh Kabobs with Spiced Yogurt Dip by MealDiva
- Chorizo Queso Dip by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms by Casa de Crews
- Hatch Chile Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Skillet Jalapeno Popper Dip by Life Tastes Good
Game Time Mains
- Al Capone Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Bacon Bleu Cheese Sliders by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Quail by Flavor Mosaic
- Brat Burger by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brie Tomato and Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Crispy Chicken Wings by Feeding Big
- Crispy Maple Hot Wings by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Melty Turkey Cheese Sliders by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sticky Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
The Victory Celebration
- Apple Crisp in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Dip by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Double Crusted Apple Pie Galette by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grandma’s Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
Who says you have to be at the stadium to tailgate? Here are Five Easy Tailgate Food Tips plus Football Party Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards. Need more tips on tailgate planning? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.